Thursday 27 January 2011

Day 8 - April 27th 2007

Since I moved onto C Wing, the guards and cleaners (prisoners who work on the wing) have been encouraging me to apply for a cleaners job which, as it happens, I did yesterday. One of the existing cleaners is leaving on Monday and it looks like I’m first in line. Being a wing cleaner has its benefits, too; you get a better room, a small amount of pay, you’re out of your cell for most of the day and you get first shout on the drugs and bitches. OK, I lied about the drugs. And the bitches. It’s a bit of a dilemma though, as serving other inmate’s meals and polishing the wing floors might sound glamorous, but I’m getting used to being locked up all day and I doubt this job is going to help me when I get out into the real world, unless I want to work in KFC. Which I don’t.

Instead of a job, my other choice is to do an educational course. I’d get to be out of my cell during the week, yet my weekends would be free (another chance of clinging to normality) and I would get paid for doing that, too. The way I see it, at least something educational might be of benefit in later life. I’m due a meeting with the educational people next week, I’ll know better what to do then. Phil’s got about 5 weeks of his sentence to run and he’s had some good news today; he’s going to be sent to
HMP Wealstun, an open prison near Wetherby, in the morning. He’s served some time there before and tells me it’s a hell of a lot better than this place- lots of time out of your cell, interesting jobs and decent food. AND DECENT FOOD!! He’s going on Tuesday, the sooner I can get categorised and out of here myself the better. Apparently open prisons are the only ones with any spaces at the moment. Good.

Luckily the Wing’s a bit short staffed today; health and safety dictates how many inmates can be out of their cells at once dependent on how many guards are present. Handily this means we’re let out of our cells for association in smaller groups than the past couple of days, no queues for the showers or the phone and less unknown faces to get used to. For the first time since his visit last week I give Dad a ring, luckily he’s at home. It’s so refreshing to spend a few minutes chatting about work, sales figures and targets (I also work with him when I’m not an inmate). For the first time in 8 days I’m having a conversation without mentioning courts, barristers, judges or prisons, it sparks a bright light in my head, the sooner I’m out and back to work, the better. The downside to a short staffed wing is everything happens later than usual, including the mail delivery. At
it’s 3 hours later than usual, but I’ve got mail! All my mail! Letters from Jilly and friends and, at last, my canteen arrives, too! Christmas. ish. I’ve got envelopes, paper, replies to write, shower gel… there’s no stopping me. I can send letters and not stink.

No comments:

Post a Comment