Thursday 27 January 2011

Day 7 - April 26th 2007

Today’s probably been the least eventful since I arrived, absolutely nothing of real note has happened. In between long stints of daytime TV (can’t wait for the result of the Jeremy Kyle DNA test) Phil’s gone for a visit with his girlfriend and the usual meal breaks have punctuated the day. I don’t know how they do it, but every meal tastes the same- fucking horrible. I managed to speak to Jilly for a few minutes this afternoon. It doesn’t get any easier, as you’re constantly trying to balance the desire to talk and talk against the fact your phone credit is diminishing fast. Which reminds me……The prison phone system.

Each wing of the prison has a small number of phones for the inmates to use during association. When you first arrive you’re given your own unique 8 digit pin number for the phone. You dial the number you’re after, then press hash, then enter your pin number. For the first week or so you can dial any number you like with your pin, but this is soon restricted to up to 20 numbers you’ve submitted to the prison and had OK’d, I presume for security and PR reasons (I’m not convinced the Daily Mail newsroom would be allowed…). During that first week, whilst my pin is ‘unlocked’, I’m reminded it’s pretty valuable to the other inmates and, seeming they’re criminals, it might be a good idea to keep the number to myself- don’t even write it down if you don’t have to.

The phone displays the available credit once you’ve connected to a call, if you run out it’s tough luck until you can order some more on your next canteen. One of the guys on C Wing has about £80 credit on his phone and I’m told he uses it all speaking to his mother. Er, great. Speaking of the canteen, my order from last Sunday still hasn’t arrived, neither has my mail. This is especially frustrating as I know Jilly’s written to me. Without my canteen I haven’t any envelopes either, so I can’t even communicate outwards, it only adds to the sense of frustration you feel, trapped in here.

No comments:

Post a Comment