Thursday 27 January 2011

Day 5 - April 24th 2007

A few different things happen today, for the first time life inside passes without dragging forever. Hopefully time will continue to accelerate.

Applications. If you want to do or know anything in prison, you need to fill in and submit an application. It’s a simple form, you just fill in your name and number, then what you want in a large box below. Typically if you want to request a move to another wing or prison, need a haircut, want to visit the library or doctor, would like a job in the prison or pretty much anything else, you fill in an ‘app’. I was considering putting an app in for Sky+ and a 12 pack of Export, but thought better of it. An app I’ve put in this morning is for a move to another prison, either Kirkham near Preston (an open prison) or Haverigg in Cumbria (cat C). Both would be easier for visits, not to mention they’re lower category and the regime should be more relaxed.

If I’m honest, this place is also very Geordie. I’ve nothing against that, it’s just that it feels strange enough being in prison without being surrounded by ‘why ayes’ every where you turn. Hedging my bets if I don’t get a prison move, I also put an app in for F wing, the softest wing in the prison, along with one for a haircut and another for a library visit. Reading a book is definitely preferable to the daytime TV I’ve been subjected to so far. If you’re a cross dressing property investor who likes buying tat and selling it auction for a loss, whilst having an affair with your mum, I’m sure it’s great. Later in the morning I’m taken from my en-suite room for another part of the induction process. This is one of those bollocks sessions, done for political correctness and not a lot else- a nice 45 minute talk on bullying and racism. Half of the guys in the room have spent more time inside than out and know it backwards, the other half just stare into space hearing blah blah blah. Having said that, a special mention must go out to the officer who did the talk. He reminds me of the best teachers at school- funny but no mug, honest and freely admits to not liking the PC bullshit for the sake of it.

A couple of good things happen today. Shortly after returning to my cell from induction, a slip of paper is put under the en-suite door- it’s my sentence calculation. This is a set of dates confirming my parole date (the halfway point of my sentence) and my end of sentence date. Just my bastarding luck- my sentence straddles a leap year, so I’ve got 366 days. Thanks. To me though, the most important date is the HDC eligibility date. As I had hoped, my HDC date is set for 21st July, 3 months after my incarceration. As much as I can be in here, I’m buzzing. This feeling is amplified when, a little later, a letter is pushed under the door. It’s from Jilly. It’s a selfish feeling, but being inside here, you fear the world’s moving along out there quite nicely without you, when what you really need is to be told you’re still being thought of and missed. Reading Jilly’s words brings so much comfort, like I’m being connected to the missing half of me who’s still outside. To finish the day off, Man Utd are on TV playing AC Milan in the first leg of their Champions League semi final. Liverpool fan Mark is predictably rooting for Milan, though for most of E wing it’s in Utd’s favour- anything but the Italians! It’s a nervy game, but Utd rally in the second half to earn a 3-2 win, Rooney scoring in the 90th minute. Carlsberg don’t make prison days, but if they did, they’d be a bit like this one

No comments:

Post a Comment